For today’s Lucky 13 blog, I dreamed up a top-ten list of the good luck we writers wish for in this beautiful new year.
A Writer’s Wishes for Good Luck in 2015
10. The “bestseller” list becomes the “best written” list.
9. Editors earn eligibility for the Pulitzer and/or Nobel Prize.
8. Taylor Swift, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga form a book group.
7. Independent bookstores out sell Wal-Mart.
6. Our muses discover a fountain of eternal youth, so they never get old, age, or disappear.
5. Women’s pajamas are all made with pockets, so we can write in our own PJ’s instead of stealing our husband’s/boyfriend’s/brother’s.
4. All book publishers and distributors – print and e-book – join forces to bring great stories to readers at fair prices that support a living wage for authors.
3. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler host the National Book Awards.
2. Martin Scorsese and Ken Burns team up to make films based on my books. (Okay, that one was just for me.)
And the most important wish for writerly luck in 2015…
1. Readers’ imaginations continue to provide the alchemy that makes our stories sing.